Thursday, August 20, 2009

More Opposite #15

After getting less sleep than was needed last night, I wasn't feeling perky tonight, so what did I do? Eat too much ice cream. Then I read this excerpt from Richard Wilbur's More Opposites. So apropos.


15

The opposite of less is more.

What’s better? Which one are you for?

My question may seem simple, but

The catch is—more or less of what?


“Let’s have more of everything!” you cry.

Well, after we have had more pie,

More pickles, and more layer cake,

I think we’ll want less stomach-ache.


The best thing’s to avoid excess.

Try to be temperate, more or less.


Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow.... I will be more temperate, not less.



3 comments:

Karen A. Fentress said...

I found your comment on my post on Eliot. Thank you for reading. I enjoyed reading several posts at "Gladsome Lights" How did you find "Leap Ye Lame"?

Jeannette said...

I keep learning that attention and temperence go hand in hand. And it's hard(er) to eat ice cream in abundant quantity if your hands are clasped together. I'll try it and think of you!

GretchenJoanna said...

Karen, I'm pretty sure I found you by searching profiles of people who liked Richard Wilbur.