Thursday, September 16, 2010

Turkish Green Beans

Here is the recipe for the green beans I wrote about in my post on vegetable stews. I have seen versions of this recipe that don't use a pressure cooker, but if you are comfortable with this kind of cooking it's very convenient, especially when you have a lot and would like to save them. Most ways of preserving green beans end up with a product that I find lacking, but these are quite good after being frozen. Traditionally they are served cold, but we enjoy them at all temperatures. I put my adjustments in parentheses to the original recipe.

I tried making them with less oil, or with a different type of oil, and the result was mushy beans. But one commenter on my first post (who has a blog dedicated to pressure cooking) said to try pressure-cooking them only four minutes.  I may do that next summer, but this year's pole beans are about done. 

Turkish Green Beans in the Pressure Cooker
2 pounds green beans, trimmed and bisected lengthwise (I didn't read this carefully and have always cut mine crosswise into 2-3" lengths.)
1 medium white (I used yellow) onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, slivered
5-6 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 heaping teaspoon Turkish hot pepper paste (or 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce)
1 to 1 1/2 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
Place the beans, onion, garlic and tomato in pressure cooker. Dilute the tomato and pepper pastes in 1/2 cup water and pour that over the beans. Add the remaining water, salt, sugar and oil. Cover and cook; once the pot is at full pressure, cook for 18 minutes.
    Quick-release the pressure under cold running water or with the quick-release mechanism. Serve chilled (or warm, or room temperature).

3 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

I would love to taste these. Alas, the green beans are all past. I wonder if you could add some of the "sauce" to regular canned beans and get a similar dish? Ever tried?

Jody

margaret said...

Yum. I am off to look for a non-pressure cooker version.

Pom Pom said...

At first I thought your post title was Turkish Green Bears. I've been around middle school kids too much this week. Your recipe sounds super tasty!