Friday, February 24, 2012

What was I thinking...

In Ephesians 5 we are told to redeem the time: "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is."

That admonition comes to mind as I read this poem, published just last year in the New Yorker. It's by W.S. Merwin, whom I mentioned previously here and here in regard to his book The Folding Cliffs, which captivated me and gave me for the first time an interest in visiting Hawaii. By the way, my husband and I will be doing just that next month to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, which is one reason I don't think I will be blogging much until after Easter/Pascha.

But back to the poem -- it seems to me it speaks of how we can only make up for lost time by being attentive to the gifts that are coming to us right now, attentive to the presence of God. He is giving Himself in the present moment, and He has given us the lenten season to help us tune into that Reality, to come back to it and to Him.

The New Song

For some time I thought there was time
and that there would always be time
for what I had a mind to do
and what I could imagine
going back to and finding it
as I had found it the first time
but by this time I do not know
what I thought when I thought back then

there is no time yet it grows less
there is the sound of rain at night
arriving unknown in the leaves
once without before or after
then I hear the thrush waking
at daybreak singing the new song

--W.S. Merwin

6 comments:

Amanda Parish said...

thank you very much for this!

E Helena E said...

This is gnawing concern of mine: time running out and wasting time. Thank you for posting this. I wish you both a joyous 40th anniversary next month and many more years!

elizabeth said...

advanced Many years on 40 years of marriage! what a blessing!

Gumbo Lily said...

Very good.
The time is now.
Happy 40th Anniversary. Take a swim in the sea for me (if you want to).

Jody

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I love the poem! It reminds me of Egrets (we've been reading it at school).
I'm so happy that you are off to Hawaii. You will love and appreciate the warm air and the lovely fragrance. Happy anniversary all year long, Gretchen Joanna!

Jeannette said...

What a lovely coupling of the poem and the Holy Scripture admonition you have shared here.

Anniversary blessings on your marriage and all its fruit...