Sunday, May 13, 2012

Flowers and Love for This Mother

My Favorite Rockrose
I have loving gifts and greetings from my dear children all around me today, though I didn't have any of them present in the flesh. My husband's taking me out to dinner soon to celebrate -- and this morning it was wonderful to be in church, and hear a homily about the Samaritan woman, whose heart was open to Christ and who became a missionary of the gospel.

Cerinthe grows like a weed.
After the Agape Meal that we always have after the service, we heard a guest speaker, a priest who helped translate a recent book about Elder Paisios of Mt. Athos, who reposed in the Lord in the 1990's.

One thing Father Peter said that impressed me was about the different perspective that an Orthodox ethos gives a person. He said that in Greece, for example, where people are raised with this background, even if they are not currently living out a Christian faith, they may unselfconsciously have Christian ideas about some things.

Bearded Iris
Modesty, for example. Here in the United States, the concept of modesty carries for many people connotations of old-fashioned or conservative, but when someone raised in a culture infused by the church thinks of modesty, he thinks immediately of Christ's mother, the Theotokos -- a person, and not a concept. What a blessing God gave me in this word on Mother's Day!

Before church, and afterward, I couldn't help but stop to take pictures of the flowers that I no longer have the job of caring for. Pearl sent me a vase of flowers for Mother's Day, which I have on the table nearby, and God gave me these as well, just a few examples for today of the beautiful gifts he has given me my whole life through, including that of the experience of motherhood, the gifts of five children, and soon-to-be eleven grandchildren. What can I say about this except that it is astounding?

A (probably belated) blessed Mother's Day to all of you!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I believe your "anonymous flower" is cerinthe -- it looks like the pictures of it in catologs.

GretchenJoanna said...

Thanks, Amanda, for the I.D.! I updated the caption.