Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pressing on to the wasteland.

Another good quote for Lent, thanks to s-p at Pithless Thoughts (posted a while back), from a Malcolm Muggeridge essay on life at the end of the last century. It seems to me still applicable in the 21st, as he describes how direly we need the Savior:
As the astronauts soar into the vast eternities of space, on earth the garbage piles higher, as the groves of academe extend their domain, their alumni’s arms reach lower, as the phallic cult spreads, so does impotence. In great wealth, great poverty; in health, sickness, in numbers, deception. Gorging, left hungry; sedated, left restless; telling all, hiding all; in flesh united, forever separate. So we press on through the valley of abundance that leads to the wasteland of satiety, passing through the gardens of fantasy; seeking happiness ever more ardently, and finding despair ever more surely.

6 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Such deep thoughts and so true, I have always enjoyed Malcolm Muggeridge. I like his deep thoughts. I think perhaps because he was a bit of a bad guy before he came to faith.
He has such a way of looking at the world. I find sometimes I gasp at his words.
They always make me think.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

That's brilliant! It strikes me as very true, and I will ponder it further. Thanks for sharing, GJ!

xofrances

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Wow, that is quite a quote. Pithy for sure. I love it when someone puts words together like this. And of course, the message is so exact and true.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

excellent quote, Gretchn, and oh so true. with ever news report, it seems life grows more dire; it's pressing to remember God is in control.
Happy Birthday to you...how are you celebrating?

Leslie said...

What a quote with some really strong imagery of the unpleasantness of this troubled world. Makes me think of John 16:33 or at least part of it... “But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 Praise be to God!

M.K. said...

An apt description of this fallen world. There is no satisfaction here, and the more we seek it, the less we find it. Reminds me of verses in Ezra where I'm reading now. God says the people labor, but they are hungry. They work hard but never find satisfaction, because He will not give it to them. I'm thankful for a bountiful New Earth that awaits me, where none of these sad contradictions will exist!